Scots Uniting Church

Scots Uniting ChurchNeil McKnight668 x 380 px. 60.1 Kb.

13
AA

Scots Uniting Church

Scots Un­it­­ing Church is a Victorian Gothic style stone church com­­ple­ted in 1892, prom­in­en­t­ly positioned on lower York Street.

Follow­ing the com­­ple­tion of the rail­way link to Perth in the 1890's, Albany ex­per­ienced a rapid growth in popul­ation and wealth. Many sub­stantial buildings were con­struc­ted in this per­iod in­clud­ing the Albany Town Hall, Old Post Office and Old Court House.

Scots Church is an im­port­ant landmark that re­pre­sents a key per­iod of de­velop­ment for the Albany re­gion.

Prior to 1890, the local Anglican Pre­sbyterian con­greg­ation would meet in the Albany Court House or Albany Town Hall. De­sir­ing their own church, Melbourne architect Evan­der McIver was in­vi­ted to draw suit­able plans, with W. Sangster con­trac­ted to com­plete the build­ing. In 1891 the found­ation stone was laid. The open­ing ceremony was held on 30th March 1892. The final cost of the church was £1416.

The church is con­struc­ted of well craf­ted local granite, has a strong gabled form, re­ndered buttresses and heav­ily timbered doors, topped with a corruga­ted iron roof. In 1969, a hall, kitchen, vestry and two rooms were added, built from local brick.

Loca­ted prom­in­en­t­ly on York Street, oppo­site St. Johns Anglican Church, Scots Church is an im­port­ant landmark that re­pre­sents a key per­iod of de­velop­ment for the Albany re­gion.

Form­ally known as Scots Pre­sbyterian Church, it was re­named Scots Un­it­­ing Church after the form­ation of the Un­it­­ing Church of Australia in 1977, which merged the Pre­sbyterian Church of Australia with the Con­gregational Un­ion and the Methodist Church of Australasia

Scots Un­it­­ing Church con­tinues to hold services on the first Sunday of each month at 10:00 am. Through­out the year. a variety of market days and social events are held in the hall,

Article updated 31/03/2016.